Free Consultations:  630-427-4407

Lawyers For Post-Decree Changes In DuPage County, Will County And Kane County

Ending your marriage can be a difficult process, and divorce can completely upend your life, affecting your finances, your living situation, and the time you are able to spend with your children. Whether your divorce was amicable or contested, once it is complete, you will likely be ready to put it behind you and move on with your life. However, there may be situations when you will need to return to court to make changes to your divorce decree.

When pursuing a post-divorce modification or responding to a modification request by your ex-spouse, you should be sure to work with a skilled, dedicated family law attorney. With more than 25 years of combined experience, the family law attorneys of SBK Law Group understand the legal issues involved in post-decree matters, and we can address your concerns and protect your rights in these cases. We will work with you to meet your legal requirements and help you achieve an outcome that addresses your family’s changing needs.

What Parts Of A Divorce Decree Can Be Modified?

Typically, a person can request a modification of their divorce decree or judgment if either party has experienced a “significant change in circumstances.” These types of changes may include the loss of a job, health issues that affect a person’s income-earning ability, plans to move to a new home, changes in parents’ or children’s schedules, or adjustments to children’s needs. Ex-spouses may request modifications that address multiple different issues, including:

  • Allocation of parental responsibilities and/or parenting time – In some cases, a divorced parent may ask that the parenting time schedule be modified because they wish to spend more time with their children. In other situations, one parent may be concerned that issues such as substance abuse are putting children at risk, and they may ask for the other parent’s parenting time to be restricted.
  • Parental relocation – If a parent plans to move with their child to a new home that is a significant distance away from their current home, this could affect child custody arrangements for both parents. Depending on the distance of the move, a parent may need to receive approval from the court. If the other parent objects to the move, the court will determine whether the move would be in the child’s best interests.
  • Child support – A significant increase or decrease in income for either parent could affect the amount of the parents’ child support obligations. If changes are made to the amount of time children will spend with each parent, this may also require a recalculation of child support.
  • Spousal maintenance – Spousal support will be terminated if the receiving ex-spouse gets remarried or if either party dies. Maintenance may also be modified or terminated if either party experiences a significant change in the amount of income they earn.

It is important to note that decisions about the division of marital property cannot be modified after a divorce has been finalized. However, if an ex-spouse has not turned over, refinanced, or sold certain assets as required by the divorce decree or judgment, the other party may need to take legal action to enforce the terms of the divorce. Enforcement may also be necessary if an ex-spouse does not meet their obligations to pay financial support, if they do not follow the court-ordered parenting time schedule, or if they fail to abide by any other orders by the court.

Contact Our DuPage County Post-Divorce Modification Lawyer

If you have experienced changes in your life that may require you to modify the terms of your divorce, or if you need to make sure your ex-spouse is meeting their court-ordered obligations, the post-divorce modification attorneys of SBK Law Group can provide the legal help you need. We will help you understand your rights and your legal options, and we will represent you in any court hearings. To learn more about how we can help, contact our Illinois family law attorneys online or at 630-427-4407. We assist with family law matters in DuPage CountyKane CountyKendall CountyWill County, and Cook County.

Wordpress Social Share Plugin powered by Ultimatelysocial